Shipping Company Warning

Incata

I wanted to warn as many of you as I can about the very poor experience we have just had with one of the major shipping companies. They come highly recommended by themselves and from various international banks (when you open your account before you go). I appreciate I cannot name it but I am more than happy to PM anyone who wants to know who they are.

We had quotes from 2 firms. My husband was in the military and had limited time at home in order to be able to see the companies and explain about our garage situation (which was packed with half-filled boxes due to being moved from a 4 bedroomed house to a 3 bedroomed house - long story, not relevant here). We possibly should have had more companies out and should definitely have taken recommendations from here but the situation was a little more complicated by the fact that we were originally going to Perth, then Canberra (job offer we withdrew from, then back to the original plan).

The company we went with were very competitive compared to the other company we had out. They also seemed to know their stuff whereas the lady who came from the other company did not seem at all competent. The chap who came gave a very good sales pitch about how he had been a packer for 10 years and really knew his stuff. He was very convincing and we booked through them. He said that our stuff came to 49m3 and that a 40 foot container was 69m3 so all our things would fit in with no problem. He also promised us sole use of the container so if he had got it slightly wrong there would not be any issues.

However, when the packers came they ignored the instructions to start with the garage (so that all the half filled boxes could be filled with bedding etc from the house) and started straight on the furniture. They packed things they were told not to, so we spent as much time unpacking things as they did packing them. My husband then noticed that they were only half filling boxes and were filling the rest with packing paper. If they had been valuables we would have understood. However, it was things like books and bed linen they were doing it with. We raised concerns with both the chap in charge and with the rep, as we thought, based on the way they were packing, that it would not all get into the container.

When we spoke to the rep, she came back and reassured us that it was being packed in accordance with all the required regulations. However, to cut a long story short, it did not fit into the container. When we complained they just did not want to know and told us it was too bad. We were told to let them take away the extra items.

They also, during the packing, announced that items such as a tool box needed to be in a crate, at £90 extra. Despite the fact that the chap who came and did the quote had seen it and noted it, he never mentioned any extra costs. They turned out to be "nice" surprises on the day.

Everything went on the 19th December, including the three extra items which went off in their van. Today they have come back and said that if we want the 3 items which did not fit in shipped, it would be an extra £460. We have no way of getting our goods back and shipping them with somebody else, as that would involve extra charges. No surprise there.

Suffice to say we have had very poor service and the original quote had not matched what we are finally being charged.

Happy to PM the company details to anyone who wants to know.

When we finally get our stuff in Australia we will post a video clip of the unpacking so you can see how much excess packing paper was used.

I don't think we have any comeback or way to make them honour their original quote and that annoys me as well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have moved many times and know that packing containers is not an exact science. They do have to consider weight distribution, particularly if going by sea and it is normal to pack the heavy furniture first. Whenever we have moved the removals have always done this. As for packing books in a half full box, there are regulations concerning weight of boxes and they need to pack them tightly to stop the boxes from getting squashed or falling over. Perhaps you should have added the bed linen yourself to fill them up or used different sized boxes.

The last time we moved we were told it should be a two thirds of a container and it ended up being almost a full one

I can guess. We had a similar issue with packing half full boxes. I took a few photos of them too. No wonder it was a tight fit in the container and thing got left behind. The unpackers here were surprised at the amount of paper. It would have totalled a small rain forest.

Sorry you have had a bad experience. I have to say the Aussie end of the contract for us were outstanding so hopefully you will have a good experience as well.

I don't think you can expect to tell packers in what order to pack things in, they are there to do a job, and if they think that heavy furniture needs to go first (which sounds entirely sensible) then I would leave them to it. Also you cannot pack boxes full of books as they are too heavy. If you have things you don't want packing, then it is best to gather all these things together in one corner or one room even and clearly mark it as not to be packed.

I have had my house packed up three times now by three different companies and they have all used a lot of packaging, I presumed it was to protect my belongings on the journey.

There are happy and unhappy clients of all the removal companies as far as I can tell.

• 4 weeks later...

Health and Safety issues come into play. The packers would have had a limit on weight of each box they filled. Everything has changed in packaging due to these laws. No more large barrells if they have to be handled personally they need to be of a certain weight and size.

Personally the more packaging the better for me, I would not want anything damaged.

Just wondering -we have moved furniture before but - if we move drawers are we allowed to leave clothes etc in the drawers or do they have to be empty

I also want to take a tv unit and thought we could stuff pillows inside the cabinets to save space elswhere

I did wrap my CD stand complete with CDS in cling film -or glad wrap as they call it in Oz on our last move and even the shippers thought it was a good idea

I prefer to pack a lot myself plus I itemise and take photos as I go so that I know exactly where items are

Health and Safety issues come into play. The packers would have had a limit on weight of each box they filled. Everything has changed in packaging due to these laws. No more large barrells if they have to be handled personally they need to be of a certain weight and size.

Personally the more packaging the better for me, I would not want anything damaged.

That is fair enough. However, if you can 1/2 pack one big box with books and fill the rest with packing paper, why would you not just fill two smaller boxes instead? Easier to handle and carry, and no need to waste all the excessive packaging - unless of course you are trying to make money and want to make sure that all your clients goods do not get into the container, thus meaning they have to pay you a whole lot more than the original quotation.

I have no probem whatsoever with vauables being well packed. I do have a probem with packaging being done in such a way that what is supposed to be a 2/3 full 40ft container, fills completely with things not fitting in - which I then get charged extra for.

That is fair enough. However, if you can 1/2 pack one big box with books and fill the rest with packing paper, why would you not just fill two smaller boxes instead? Easier to handle and carry, and no need to waste all the excessive packaging - unless of course you are trying to make money and want to make sure that all your clients goods do not get into the container, thus meaning they have to pay you a whole lot more than the original quotation.

I have no probem whatsoever with vauables being well packed. I do have a probem with packaging being done in such a way that what is supposed to be a 2/3 full 40ft container, fills completely with things not fitting in - which I then get charged extra for.

You're so right there, I used to work for an air freight company and in my training, they said the dream shipment for them was to fill half a container half with lead (to charge for the weight) and the other half feathers (to charge for the volume), therefore maximizing profit. Seems this is exactly what they do when shipping personal effects!! Its very naughty.

Others need to question this when they get the companies round - I'd be kicking off too - feel for you, its a lot money!

there is no need to half fill boxes due to weight restrictions, this is absolute bull!...all you need is common sense of combining books with bed linen, cutlery with clothing and so forth...that is what we did. Although my mother paid for a prepacking service we knew no one will pack as good as we will(we have moved 5 times in our lives) we sat a whole week and packed everything ourselves and only left the furniture for the company. everything was fine and nothing was too heavy plus EVERYTHING FIT and we had extra space left over...it is obvious that this is a way for the companies to scam you into extra costs...

there is no need to half fill boxes due to weight restrictions, this is absolute bull!...all you need is common sense of combining books with bed linen, cutlery with clothing and so forth...that is what we did. Although my mother paid for a prepacking service we knew no one will pack as good as we will(we have moved 5 times in our lives) we sat a whole week and packed everything ourselves and only left the furniture for the company. everything was fine and nothing was too heavy plus EVERYTHING FIT and we had extra space left over...it is obvious that this is a way for the companies to scam you into extra costs...

I agree the obvious thing is to pack yourself, do you know which companies allow this? I thought they had to pack for you due security/customs risks, i.e you could pack 'anything' yourself. I know for airfreight especially you have to be security checked to have anything to do with the consignment, and I had just assumed this to be the case with sea freight, or do they just look at your inventory and randomly check various boxes?

It would be great to pack yourself, as you can ensure its packed to your own satisfaction and standard - if anyone knows which companies will allow it, I'd be really interested, thanks in advance ......

Going from the UK to Aus and then back our shippers used 3 different size boxes for that exact reason. The boxes were all able to be stacked together ie, 1/2 the size then 1/2 the size again. No wasted space at all, and yes the smallest boxes were just as heavy, if not heavier, than the larger boxes. Did you notice if they were using different size boxes?

I agree the obvious thing is to pack yourself, do you know which companies allow this? I thought they had to pack for you due security/customs risks, i.e you could pack 'anything' yourself. I know for airfreight especially you have to be security checked to have anything to do with the consignment, and I had just assumed this to be the case with sea freight, or do they just look at your inventory and randomly check various boxes?

It would be great to pack yourself, as you can ensure its packed to your own satisfaction and standard - if anyone knows which companies will allow it, I'd be really interested, thanks in advance ......

Well we packed my mums whole house by ourselves...Inspections are random..will find out the company name and let you know asap

I'm going with one of the well known companies and have agreed that I will pack the boxes myself and disassemble all furniture myself to keep costs down as I'm having a shared container. Anyone who tells you that you can't pack your own boxes are taking you for a fool otherwise how would the movecubes be possible??

Hope it all works out OK for you. I can only imagine how helpless you could feel. It is not cheap and the last thing you need are problems when you are moving to start a new life.

A bad move is something I am worried about, in fact it is the 1 thing that worries me most. I had 5 companies out and they all seem pretty much the same though there is 1 who is nearly a grand dearer for some reason?

Could you PM me the name just so as I can see if they are on my shortlist?

Thanks

Kev